Sometimes I find it hard to make summertime meals that are hearty enough to fill you up, but don’t require much effort, enter quinoa butternut squash salad.
I’ve said it before, and i’ll say it again, traditional salads just don’t appeal to me. I’ve looked for ways to incorporate grains instead of lettuce, and pair it with some seasonal veggies. There’s something so amazing about the flavour and colour of butternut squash.
I must admit, I hate peeling and chopping squash, it can be time consuming, but once you actually put a piece of roasted butternut squash in your mouth the misery that was seems to disappear. Whenever I can, I try to pawn off that task to someone else, usually Kevin.
Given that we’re in full wedding-planning mode, I’ve been finding it particularly exhausting to do anything when I get home. Between wedding stuff, dog rescue stuff, and work, I hardly have a moment to just sit back and unwind. For that reason, when I can find a meal I can make once and enjoy for days, it’s hard to look away!
While we’re on the topic of weddings, we’ve more or less booked our venue, our photographer, and videographer. There are a few details still waiting to be sorted, but it feels like it’s really coming together! I’m hoping to try on dresses this weekend, and I think at that point it will feel real.
Any advice you can offer a bride? I’d love to hear your tricks and tips!
But for now, on to the recipe.
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, cleaned, and cubed
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 cup black beans
- 1/4 cup water chestnuts
- In advance, place the cubed butternut squash on a lined cookie sheet or in a lightly greased casserole dish and drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Roast the squash on 400°F for 30-35 minutes, flipping them over and around at the mid-way mark.
- Let cool.
- Bring the broth to a boil, and add the quinoa.
- Lower the heat and cook for 15 minutes covered. Afterwards, turn off the heat and remove the pot from the burner. Let stand for 5 minutes, still covered.
- In a large bowl, combine the black beans, onion, and water chestnuts.
- Once the butternut squash and quinoa have cooled down a little, mix it into the large bowl.
- Top with Salt & Pepper and Enjoy!